This recipe will help you make half your plate fruits and vegetables. Cabbage can be steamed, baked, or stuffed, as well as eaten raw.
Makes: 6 servings (approximately 1 cup, each)
- 6 cups cabbage (shredded)
- 1 carrot (cleaned, peeled, and shredded)
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard (or dry mustard seed)
- 2 teaspoons celery seed (if you like)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Place the shredded cabbage and carrots in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl add mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, and salt. If using celery seed, add that too.
- Mix the cabbage and carrots well with the dressing.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
Source: Available at www.usda.gov/whatscooking and adapted from food.com
Alice’s Notes: This is a very basic coleslaw recipe that can be made from ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen, especially the dressing ingredients. Possible alternative purchased salad dressings include: classic coleslaw dressing, ranch dressing and poppy seed dressing. Other ingredients you could add include:
- Sliced or diced apples
- Mandarin oranges
- Diced green pepper
- Raisins or dried cranberries
- Green onions
- Sunflower seeds