So far, I’ve created potato and kale recipes for the foods I received from my farmer, Pekarek’s Produce, this week. Signing up for a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) share is a great way to nudge yourself into eating healthier, try a greater variety of vegetables and fruits and help share in the success of a farmer.
Next up is the broccoli. I considered several ideas for incorporating fresh (vs. frozen) broccoli into mac and cheese.
I decided to suggest starting with your own family favorite recipe and try this method several cooks used for adding fresh broccoli. While you’re cooking the macaroni (or other similar-sized pasta, such as penne or rotini), add about 3 cups of fresh broccoli florets during the last 3 minutes. Drain and continue as usual with your recipe.
If you have bread you need to use up or no other topping on hand, here is a quick recipe I created for a topping for the pasta.
SEASONED BREAD CRUMB CASSEROLE TOPPING
Use this topping on any casserole that is baked without a lid.
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Toast bread at one of the higher settings on your toaster to brown it and help dry it out. Let cool.
- Tear off pieces of bread and add to food processor in small batches. Process to about the size of grains of rice.
- Add olive oil and pulse to blend. Then add Italian seasoning and continue to pulse until mixed.
- Add topping to casserole and bake according to casserole directions.
- Any type of bread can be used for bread crumbs. Or combine several types of bread.
- Using a whole grain bread gives the additional benefit of fiber and higher amounts of some trace minerals.
- This recipe is a great way to use up older bread.
- You may be surprised at how good a homemade bread crumb topping tastes. Plus, you control the type of ingredients used and save money.
- One slice of bread yields about 1/4 cup of fine bread crumbs.
Recipe created by Alice Henneman, MS, RDN, University of Nebraska–Lincoln Extension Educator. For more recipes and tips for fast, healthy and delicious foods, visit cookitquick.org