Locally grown cauliflower and onions are in season right now at farmers’ markets and in CSA boxes, gardens and some grocery stores. Here’s a quick, easy way to serve cauliflower that takes just 5 ingredients …
CAULIFLOWER, GREEN PEAS AND CHEESE SALAD
A bowl of plain raw cauliflower can be blah in looks and taste … This recipe punches up the appearance and flavor!
- Cauliflower florets (use about twice as much cauliflower as peas — for example, 2 cups of florets to 1 cup of peas)
- Frozen peas, thawed (see above)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow or sweet onion or as desired (optional)
- Shredded cheese (add about 1/4 cup per 1 cup of salad)
- Creamy type, low fat salad dressing (add about 1 1/2 tablespoon per 1 cup of salad)
- Combine cauliflower, peas, onion and cheese.
- Mix in salad dressing.
- Chill salad in refrigerator for about an hour before serving to allow flavors to blend.
- Thaw frozen peas by placing them in a strainer or colander and running cold water over them until thawed; drain.
Recipe created by Alice Henneman, MS, RDN, University of Nebraska–Lincoln Extension Educator. For more recipes and tips for fast, healthy and delicious foods, visit cookitquick.org
Fresh produce provided in my CSA Box from my farmer, Pekarek’s Produce!