Locally grown cauliflower and onions are in season right now at farmers’ markets and in CSA boxes, gardens and some grocery stores. Here’s a quick, easy way to serve cauliflower that takes just 5 ingredients …
Cauliflower, Green Peas and Cheese Salad
A bowl of plain raw cauliflower can be blah in looks and taste … This recipe punches up the appearance and flavor!
- Cauliflower florets (use about twice as much cauliflower as peas — for example, 2 cups of florets to 1 cup of peas)
- Frozen peas, thawed (see above)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow or sweet onion or as desired (optional)
- Shredded cheese (add about 1/4 cup per 1 cup of salad)
- Creamy type, low fat salad dressing (add about 1 1/2 tablespoon per 1 cup of salad)
- Combine cauliflower, peas, onion and cheese.
- Mix in salad dressing.
- Chill salad in refrigerator for about an hour before serving to allow flavors to blend.
- Thaw frozen peas by placing them in a strainer or colander and running cold water over them until thawed; drain.
Recipe created by Alice Henneman, MS, RDN, University of Nebraska–Lincoln Extension Educator. For more recipes and tips for fast, healthy and delicious foods, visit cookitquick.org