Pan-roasted sweet corn adds texture, color and taste to salads. Here is an easy way to make it …
Salad with Pan-Roasted Sweet Corn
Here’s a quick way to prepare pan-roasted sweet corn to add to your favorite summer salads.
- Husked and washed ears of sweet corn, patted dry with clean paper towels (about 1 ear of corn per two salads)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, such as canola, safflower, soybean or corn oil
- Cut corn from cob(s), cutting close to the cob.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot (the oil is hot when it is shimmering … turn heat down if the oil starts to smoke), add the corn. Cook, stirring occasionally until corn begins to brown in spots and is tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove corn from skillet and allow to cool slightly before mixing it in with your favorite salad recipe.
- The smoke point (the temperature at which oils begin to smoke) is higher for the oils I listed in the recipe than some other oils, such as extra virgin olive oil. Pan-roasting the corn at higher temperatures helps brown it; you’re likely to be more successful with these higher smoke point oils.
Recipe created by Alice Henneman, MS, RDN, University of Nebraska–Lincoln Extension Educator. For more recipes and tips for fast, healthy and delicious foods, visit cookitquick.org