Often asked: How do you know what size harp for a lamp?
If you require a different size harp than the one you have on your lamp, check under the finial base (see Fig. 1) and you will see a number that will indicate the height-size of the harp. With this number in hand you will have a reference point for acquiring a new harp that will best suit your needs.
Are lamp harps universal?
Most table lamps, which accept fabric shades are set up with industry standard Regular Weight harps and Regular Weight harp bases. A Regular Weight harp will fit either a Regular Weight harp base or a Heavy Duty harp base.
What are the different sizes of lamp harps?
Harps are available in either regular or heavy duty weights. Our regular harps, which are available with either nickel or brass-plating, range in size from 4” to 15”, while our heavy duty harps, which are also available in nickel and brass plating, come in sizes from 7” and 15”.
How do I know what size my lamp is?
Place a measuring tape across the top of the lamp shade, from edge to edge and as close to center as possible, to find the top diameter. Write down this measurement. If you have a square lamp shade, measure along its width from corner to corner to get the top measurement.
How do you pick the right size lamp harp?
To determine the size, measure the bottom diameter of the floor lamp base. A 10” floor lamp base should have an 18” bottom diameter shade. An 11” to 12” floor lamp base needs a 19” Jr to 20” Jr bottom diameter shade. A 13” or bigger floor lamp base will look good with a 20” to 22” bottom diameter shade.
How do you convert Uno lamp shade to harp?
How To Use an Uno Shade with a Harp & Finial Lamp
- 1 & 2.
- Unscrew the finial and then squeeze the harp to remove it.
- Pop the socket itself apart.
- Remove the top portion of the socket to reveal wire connections.
- Thread the wire through the ring of the uno shade and then through the socket cup.
What is a lamp shade harp?
A lamp harp is the component of a lamp to which the lamp shade is attached. The shade’s internal frame (known as a spider) mounts on this rod and is secured in place by a lamp finial. Common materials for harps include brass and nickel. The most common thread size is 1/4-27.
What is a spider lamp shade fitter?
A spider fitter attaches a lampshade to a lamp base. Image Credit: CoolestMovies/iStock/GettyImages. A lampshade spider fitting connects a lampshade and lamp base together through the use of a harp, saddle and finial.
What is slip Uno fitter lamp shade?
Uno lamp shades are more versatile than those with clip-on or spider fitters. They have an inner ring that slips over the socket and are held in place by the bulb. This design makes it simple to replace the bulb. The installation process doesn’t require any tools at all.
How do you fix a lamp shade holder?
How to fix a lamp shade holder that’s been torn?
- Cut a small piece of onionskin paper in the size and shape of the tear.
- Paint the inside of the tear on the lamp shade with a transparent fabric glue and position the onionskin over it.
- Paint another light coat of glue over the onionskin to keep it in place.
How do you fix a lamp shade ring?
- Step 1: Cut a small piece of tape. Cut a small piece of electrical tape and wrap it around one segment of the ring.
- Step 2: apply tape on all sides. Repeat at each segment of the ring.
- Step 3: Test Ring around Socket. Slide the ring back on the socket.
- Step 4: Replace Bulb. Use an LED bulb to save energy!
What size lampshade do I need for my lamp?
The shade should be twice as wide as the lamp base, and one third of the total height of the lamp. So for a 6-inch lamp base, the shade should be at least 12 inches wide. And if the total height of the lamp (including the bulb and harp) is 24 inches, the shade should be 8 inches tall.
How do I measure for a replacement lamp shade?
How to Determine the Correct Lampshade Size
- Measure across the TOP of the lamp shade.
- Measure across the BOTTOM of the lamp shade.
- Measure along the SLANT (side) of the lamp shade.
How do you pick the right size lampshade?
The height of the shade should be about three-quarters the height of the base. The width of the shade base should be roughly equal to the height of the lamp from base to fitting. The shade should ideally be to at least half an inch (1.3cm) wider than the base on both sides, to keep the whole lamp looking balanced.